Monday, May 6, 2019

Odd or Oddly Satisfying? My Take on ASMR Videos.

Need an aid to help you fall asleep? Or maybe you just want to reduce stress. In my opinion some ASMR videos will help with that. So what is an ASMR video? According Dictionary.com, ASMR stands for Autonomous sensory meridian response and it is a calming, pleasurable feeling often accompanied by a tingling sensation. Many people feel this way while watching an ASMR video.  ASMR videos have grown very popular in 2018 and '19. They can be seen on social media sites such as YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook.

As far as the "tingling sensation" that people claim to experience is concerned, I don't believe I have had that experience, although ASMR does help me to relax and I watch a lot of it daily. Here is a quote on some statistics regarding the tingling sensation, "Published in the journal PLOS One, the research looked at feelings in over 1,000 people — 813 of whom self-identified as having ASMR -- after they viewed triggering content. Those with ASMR reported significantly more calmness and excitement, as well as lower levels of stress and sadness than participants who say they don't experience ASMR." Source

There are a wide variety of ASMR videos. Some in my opinion are in fact satisfying while others I find to be quite strange and annoying. There are videos that include but aren't limited to: people eating into a microphone, tapping on objects, cutting/shaving soap, playing with slime, and crumbling powdery substances like cornstarch or baking soda. ASMR can be created by almost anything! I've even seen videos of objects being crushed by a truck's tire.  

Personally I find it enjoyable to watch gym chalk, and powdery substances molded into shapes, be crumbled in the palm of someone's hand and fall onto a paper or plastic surface. This is hands down my favorite type of ASMR videos. The powdery and crunchy sounds are pleasing to the ear. I would even consider making this myself. However, I myself cannot stand listening to people smack on food. I find those ASMR videos to be unsettling. Even so, to each his or her own. I've met some people who think the whole idea of ASMR is strange itself. 

Below is an ASMR video by one of my favorite ASMR accounts Kate.Comet.Crunch. How does it make you feel?




No comments:

Post a Comment